Welcome to the first South African wine competition judged solely by a panel of South Africa’s Top Sommeliers, in categories moulded around those of a “wine list”
What makes us different….?
The Sommeliers Selection is young, plugged-in and targeting the everyday wine drinker through new and innovative ways, including a strong social & traditional media campaign, neck tags and bold stickers on every winning bottle.
Although The Sommeliers Selection is fresh, new, and different we are serious about wine and guarantee that the highest standard of audited judging criteria will be applied.
Winning wines, referred to as “Listed Wines” will be listed on the sought-after Sommeliers Selection wine list. This wine list will be distributed countrywide to trade and restaurants.
All listed wines carry the Sommeliers Selection seal of approval by means of a Gold Sticker and Necktag.
Our stickers and necktags will stand out on retail shelves and thus guide the everyday consumer with their wine purchases.
Entries will be judged for their food appropriateness and their gastronomical relevance.
The judges will look at stylistic approach to wines, regionality and price points.
All wines will be tasted blind by the sommeliers.
We welcome a diversity of vintages in every category
The South African Sommeliers on the panel all have extensive local and international judging and work experience. Their in-depth knowledge of international and local markets and what the public is looking for in their drinking wines, or pairing with food wines is unparalleled.
So what’s in it for you?...
- Listed Wines will be placed on “The Sommeliers Selection Wine list” which will be sent to restaurants country wide with the stamp of approval from our judges.
- Listed Wines will be part of a yearlong PR campaign to promote and advertise Listed Wines.
- Listed Wines will be part of our social media campaign including Facebook, Twitter & Instagram.
- Trade & Public Tastings will be held in the Cape Town & Johannesburg.
- Fridays at the Stack initiative.
- BLACC Mondays – Farm Visits from Black Cellar Club Members.
- Listed Wines will get awarded The Sommeliers Selection stickers for their bottles.
- Listed Wines will receive eye-catching Neck Tags to be placed on the bottles.
- We have a lot more up our sleeve so enter now and follow us on Twitter, Instagram and Facebook to watch how we grow in the next few months.
Are you excited? We are…
Some important dates to diarise…
Various Trade and public tastings will be taking place in and around the country
Awards Ceremony & Chairman’s Feedback & Industry Tasting:
Thursday 27 July 2017 - 15h00 - 17h00 - Invite Only - Hofmeyr Hall - Church Street, Stellenbosch
Trade & Public Tastings:
Thursday 28 September – Johannesburg (Hyde Park Tsogo Sun)
Thursday 5 October - Cape Town
Our judges - the following judges will be judging the 2017 Sommeliers Selection Wine Awards:
- Pearl Oliver (Taj Cape Town)
- Billet Magara (Oyster Box Hotel)
- Joseph Dafana (La Colombe)
- Esmé Groenewald
- Barry Schofield
- Joakim Blackadder
Our associate judges are:
- Melusi Magodhi (Ellerman House)
- Minnie Mthombeni (Karibu restaurant)